When a loved and valued member of the family passes away, it is understandably a difficult time for you and the family. 
The good news is that with the help of our highly qualified and sensitive legal team on your side, the legal aspects of a loved one dying can be dealt with as quickly and as smoothly as possible.

Death of a loved one

While you’re undoubtedly experiencing intense feelings of loss and grief, you also have the added stress of dealing with the legal process of ensuring their estate and belongings are distributed in accordance with their will. Or in the case of there being no will, you may be named as the executor and tasked with dealing with the proper distribution of the deceased’s estate according to NSW law.

We offer expert knowledge, as well as compassion and understanding to your case. Our ultimate goal is to allow you to get back to focusing on yourself and your loved ones as soon as possible during this time of need.

Normally, estate law only requires legal intervention when someone wishes to dispute the deceased’s will, or if someone passes away without a will.

We can assist and advise you in the following areas of estate law and administration:

Need to speak to a lawyer about what to do when a loved one passes? call us today

Beneficiaries - For beneficiaries listed in the deceased’s will

Executors - Information for the person responsible for carrying out the execution of a person’s will after they die

Letters of Administration - For cases in which someone has died without a will

Some common questions about estate law:

What is a will?

A will is a legal document which outlines how each of the deceased’s belongings will be distributed after they die. The deceased’s collective belongings are referred to as their ‘estate’, and can include things like real estate, bank balances, personal possessions (including those of sentimental value) and shares.

See our Wills page

What if my loved one does with no will?

When a person dies without a will, or dies leaving a will that does not deal with all of their property, then this is called ‘intestacy’ or ‘dying intestate’. If you cannot find any will for your family member anywhere (even after checking with their bank, legal team, insurance company, and so on), then you may need to refer the matter to the NSW Trustee & Guardian. More information can be found on our Letters of Administration page and on the NSW Trustee & Guardian website.